Monday, November 19, 2012

fear fire and phones

what a week , i mananged to get my self out of Punta Arenas after a nice rest and headed north for Puerto Natales , day one went pretty well , the wind kept away for a while and i made a steady progress . after 20 km a guy offers me water and tells me in english that he thinks i am nuts . i agree with him and laugh . the cross winds pick up a bit but not to hectic and i manage 48 km and decide to find a camping spot by the lake . I have not seen anyone in ages or anythiung so when i spot what loks like and abandoned play park i go down and am suprised to find some guys building a filter or some such device . i ask if i can camp and they say no problem . nice rest , nice sleep and some hot pasta and cup of soup. before the workers leave they give me some water .



i set off early the next day and decide i will head for villa Tehuelches which is a spot on the map .
I push on and expect it after 42 km but there is nothing . i keep going as the wind is not howling and eventually i come over a hill and there is a small town , i arrive and attract a few curious look s
i ask if i can camp somewhere and after a while i get directed to a spot behind the towns rodeo .

<i chat to an old lady who is taking some children for a walk and then set up camp .  nice rolls and vienna for supper , the last of the food  ihave carrried from Punta Arenas . back to pasta from tomorrow .


i tuck in for an early night . ha who would have thought the next 24  hours would be whatthey are

. At 1;26 am my tent is shaken and i come wide awake . i hear something and look outthe air vent and see a rotund figure scurry away into the darkness . i shout  and get out my tent , pepper spray at the ready . they seem to have gone . i evntually go back to sleep sometime after 2 am . i know its after 2 am becuase i was told the genrator for the town turns off at 2 am and it is quiet when i sleep .

I am awaken again later that morning
I leave town as i am a bt nervous nw or the persons motives . (update to follow )

its 6:45 am an d i am on the road , its going quite well and i have just covered 10 km ..

i look back and see a car with flashing lights coming up behind me .
they pull over , itsthe police , one is the same one I gretted a day or so ago , so i assume this is another meet and greet
.
The cant speak english but seem to want to know if i slep t inthetown , which i did , they want to know about a fire . they want me to go back to town with them .

I agree and we head off in the car to town .

as we approach the town  i look to where i was camping by the rodeo and see only smouldering ruins .

They pull into town and drive to the rodeo and point atthe fire and look at me .

they think i burnt the rodeo down .
this is bad ,very very bad
no way they gone beive me , i get really scared .
we go to the police station and they start to interrogate  using google translate as no one can speak english .
i repeat my story to them .

eventually a fire man arrives who can speak some english .
I am intimidated and fearful for my freedom , everything seems to point to me , i am convinced the person who disturbed mre inth edark did this but the entire town seems to be looking at me as the one
he is a great help . i am emotionally wrecked bythe end of the day .
the police chiefs understanding and the translator fireman , Rapheal , were all that got me through the day ,

I will not go into much more detail at this point but eventually i was released and decide that t would be wise to head for the border , which i did the following day and crossed back into Chile . i wil re blog this post at alater stage but below is a photo from before i arrived and on from the day after i left .

the spanish version of events is atthis link http://www.laprensaaustral.cl/espectaculos/presumen-intencionalidad-en-incendio-que-destruyo-la-medialuna-d-19724
 

Rodeo before
rodeo after




My return to Argentina is awesome , i am relieved and look forward to a couple of goods days before elcalafte .



back in argentina at last . phew


the are four towns on the towns onthe map  between me and El Calafate .

1. canch cerrera - i arrive just after the border and the town exists of nothing , not a tree , not a building , absolutely nothing . 

I push on and eventually oafter 65 km i find a rad workers shed from days gone by so i pry open a gap in the already broken fence to fit my pram through. at least here is some coal and a drum fire that i get going and settle in . up side is that i only have about 30 km to Tapi Aike

My workers shed in th emiddle of now where on the road to tapi aike

2. Tapi Aike  - i arrive , nothing , ok I am lying , the is one building that is a petrol station with a couple of pumps but nothing else , no signal for phone , no trees , no where to camp .. Manage to buy coke , as you can have coke of fanta and biscuits , that's all . I push on , i hit dirt road and after 31 km i see a farm , i ask  to stay .  He speaks no english and i speak no spanish . but eventually it dawns on me that he is offering me a room for the night as opposed to my tent .


Mary ann and Jean paul the french couple who stopped and gave me water , water more water and food , and friut , vivala france



on the road to nowwhere


And who would have thought  an South african in the middle of nowhwer e, thosmas from radio kop , stopped and we chatted for ages and they gave me wate anmore water and snacks

I am thrilled and even more so when as he is opening the door to the shed behind the barn i see a bed .
I go inside my my joy turns to dismay . along the other way are hanging various animal body parts in various states of decay . 

I cant back out now after agreeing to the room and to him this seems normal . so i spend the night i the butchers room .

 what a view ,........................





route 40 ,

3.) el cirrito - nothing , one house , with municipal worker 

4.) rio bote -  abandoned hospital with one resident . i am tired and lonely and the wind is howling , it takes 2 hours to do 5km , i nearly call it all off .

and oscar the loneñly sole resident of the abandoned Rio Bote and he gave me........yes you got it .,water and more water

 eventually get to El Calafate , at last signal . i can at last communicate with Sam and the boys , i have been so lonely  an d cold .

fuck , i lost my phone , i am shattered , i cry .
the lady at the hostel feels quite awkward . she tries to help . 

Sam calls me at the hostel , lol, i cry some more . then Steve , rob and my mom all call.  


el calafte


me and the gang of bikers
Today i feel better .




3 comments:

  1. you think you've had a bad week!....I could write a book on the wondering, worrying, no communication, emails and phone calls!! Thank goodness for your mom's level headedness and Steve....he saved the day...a couple of them in fact! Love you, glad you back on track xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Amigo! Como Estas? I'm sure you will be able to swear fluently in Spanish by the end of this trip :)

    Hang in there pal - it will all be worth it in the end.

    Regards your friends at Edgemead Running Club

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! If in need of any assistance, you can still reach me at cristobaldemart "at" gmail. I wont post my cellphone here for obvious reasons but you can count on prompt mail reply.
    cheers and keep it up!

    Cristóbal

    ReplyDelete